Thursday, October 23, 2014

Power Smoothie

Before we get started, keep in mind that I'm just a guy with a blog. I'm not a doctor, a nutritionist, physical trainer, or expert in anything other than classic television. As such, these statements have not been approved by the FDA, the APA, the MLA, or even the RCA. Consult a doctor before doing anything crazy, and if you do hurt yourself don't say that I didn't warn you.

Breakfast is my favorite meal. I used to make this killer breakfast sandwich with bacon fried eggs, bacon fried buttered bread and cheese, bacon fried bacon, and a side of bacon fried potatoes. It was awesome. Unfortunately, that doesn't really fit in with my health goals right now. Last summer I started concocting a breakfast smoothie that's a little more helpful and healthful.

Men's Fitness magazine recently posted on article on The Top 10 Smoothie Ingredients for Guys. I'm pleased to say that half of those were already part of my smoothie (plus a few other things), and since reading the article I've added more. Note, they never suggest putting everything in a single smoothie, but I don't think it tastes so bad.



Even though it's not on Men's Fitness's list, I put oatmeal in my smoothies. I use about half a cup of uncooked old fashioned oats. Grinding it up into a powder probably robs it some of its stick-to-your-ribness, but it's still good fiber and protein.

Next, I add milk. Yeah, I wish it was a milk substitute like almond or coconut milk, but moo milk is cheaper. Lately I've been using 2% because it's actually supposed to be better for your cholesterol than skim. My doctor tells me I have a genetic disposition toward high cholesterol, so I don't take as many chances anymore.

We're supposed to get something like two cups of fresh vegetables every day. I figure starting first thing makes getting that much more likely to happen. Believe it or not, getting vegetables at breakfast isn't that difficult. It is weird, though. Once I throw a handful of spinach into the blender, I try to forget it's there and just enjoy its Popeye powers.

I mean, who wouldn't want to look like this?
Once upon a time, I hurt a girl's feelings by declining a banana smoothie. I really liked her, but I disliked bananas more. Things never were the same between us. Now she's happily married, and I shed tears of regret as I choke down half a banana in my penance smoothie every morning. The other half I eat, because it'd be shameful not to. Mashed bananas also add a nice texture, and of course, a good amount of potassium.

Protein powder can be something of a controversial topic. I use whey protein because I've seen more arguments for it than against it. Vanilla is a good flavor, because it mixes well with just about anything (including baking cocoa for tasty post-workout smoothies).

Finally, I add cinnamon (blood sugar balancer, nice spice, and appetite suppressant), blueberries and raspberries (reputed power foods that help to mask the banana and spinach flavor), and chia seeds. The raspberries are especially important, as they turn the green sludge pink letting me know when everything is completely blended. Chia seeds are also pretty cool. Not only do they expand after eating them to keep you feeling fuller longer, they're also packed with all kinds of nutrients.

Someday I really want to try spirulina. It's a powdered algae that supposedly tastes absolutely horrifying. So it must be good for you.

What do you eat for breakfast? Also, what's the most unusual thing you've put in a smoothie?

No comments:

Post a Comment