Monday, September 12, 2016

Approach

Before Jesus' death and resurrection, the only way to connect with God was through the Law, a set of rules defining how God would interact with his chosen people. Jesus came to restore the relationship between God and man, opening it up to all people. The prophets had told his story from ancient times, and in Jesus the story was lived out perfectly. The Law was a checklist. Jesus checked every box. The Law was impersonal. Story, by its nature, is personal. Jesus, as we are beginning to see, lived the perfect Story, the patterns of which echo through every tall tale, legend, and film. God builds a relationship with us through his creation, Story.

Approach
"I and the Father are one."
John 10:30

       Once the Hero has gathered her resources from the Mentor, overcome the First Threshold and its Guardian, and determined her Allies, she finds herself in a place of greater conflict. Without conflict, there is no story, and every narrative must gradually raise the stakes to keep the audience invested. This is usually a point where the Hero and his friends are experiencing some success, even as the dangers increase. Yes, it's hard, but they're getting there. As they Approach the major conflict, the Hero and company begin to learn just how capable they are.
       In the early 2000's classic A Knight's Tale, we see William determining his strengths. While he is more skilled with the sword, he desires the fame that comes with the joust and works to improve himself even if it kills him. This is also the moment where he meets Jocelyn, who fulfills the archetype of the Love Interest. Her presence, while serving to make his life more difficult (if not downright miserable), also forces the Hero to become a truer version of himself. In order to fulfill his quest, he will need to be brought down to his essence. The challenges William faces in the arena and interacting with Jocelyn are part of the process of purification so that William is established in his identity.
       The Gospel of Matthew tells us that after gathering his disciples, Jesus began his ministry. "And he went throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom and healing every disease and every affliction among the people." Ever since the relationship between God and man was broken in the Garden of Eden, law and religion were the only ways to connect with God. The ministry of Jesus was not just to clear a path to heaven, it was to repair the broken relationship. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." Even a quick look at the ancient descriptions of the Messiah show that Jesus fulfilled every single prophecy.
       Jesus was also very clear about establishing his identity. The gospel writer John tells us that, "The Jews gathered around him and said to him, 'How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.' Jesus answered them, 'I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one."
       How is your present situation establishing your identity? For the Christian, the Apostle Paul sets the example when he says, "It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." If we are still making up our minds about Jesus, we must ask ourselves who was he? He could not have been both a great moral teacher and a man who flagrantly lied about being God. Was he crazy? Or was he exactly who he said he was?

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are.
I John 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment